Out of the Darkness: In Memory of Lyon Mountain's Iron Men, Second Edition
- Publication Date:2013
- Publisher:Bloated Toe Publishing
- Dimensions (WxH):6 x 9 in
- A Beautiful Mess
74 Margaret St & 43 Durkee St
Plattsburgh, NY 12901
- Bill's Bait & Beer Shop
2392 County Route 24
Brainardsville, NY 12915
- Hudson River Trading Co
292 Main Street
North Creek, NY 12853
- Kinney Drugs
868 State Route 11
Champlain, NY 12919
- Saranac Country Store
3346 State Route 3
Saranac, NY 12981
Out of the Darkness shines a light of recognition on more than 170 men who died in the iron mines of Lyon Mountain, New York. Who were they? How did they die?
You'll find the answers here in a tribute to the men who lost their lives while working for the mining companies.
Drillers, muckers, furnace workers, timbermen - they're all here. Many suffered horrible, spectacular deaths, as detailed in the newspaper fashion of the day, tending towards graphic, gruesome imagery. There is no shortage of such stories in this book, so be prepared for some intense reading.
The reality of Lyon Mountain's many tragic accidents includes explosions, amputations, and decapitations. It's all here, but there's much more in this book than just death.
You'll enjoy a vast amount of historical information presented in a variety of forms. Among them:
- Details of Mine Accidents from 1878 through 1966
- Framed boxes of Biographical information on each man
- Inside information on individual accidents
- One-of-a-kind photographs of many miners
- Genealogical information on each victim
- Actual newspaper reports with headlines and complete stories
- New angles and information on Lyon Mountain's role in history
- Dozens of amazing stories and facts on Lyon Mountain's mine deaths
For the mine victims, this book is the only recognition of their sacrifices. It's a unique work dedicated to the memory of Lyon Mountain's Iron Men. There's an amazing amount of history here, and you won't want to miss it.