Out of the Darkness: In Memory of Lyon Mountain's Iron Men, Second Edition
- Publication Date:2013
- Publisher:Bloated Toe Publishing
- Dimensions (WxH):6 x 9 in
- Bill's Bait & Beer Shop
2392 County Route 24
Brainardsville, NY 12915
- Clinton County Historical Assoc.
98 Ohio Avenue
Plattsburgh, NY 12903
- Corner-Stone Bookshop
110 Margaret Street
Plattsburgh, NY 12901
- Kinney Drugs #40
6 Veterans Lane
Plattsburgh, NY 12901
- Kinney Drugs #52
868 State Route 11
Champlain, NY 12919
- Mountain Mart #101
2568 Route 11
Mooers, NY 12958
- Peru Health Mart Pharmacy
2940 Main Street
Peru, NY 12972
- The Reading Room Salmon Run Mall
21182 Salmon Run Mall Loop W
Watertown, NY 13601
- Saranac Country Store
3346 State Route 3
Saranac, NY 12981
Out of the Darkness shines a light of recognition on more than 170 men who died in the iron mines of Lyon Mountain, New York. Who were they? How did they die?
You'll find the answers here in a tribute to the men who lost their lives while working for the mining companies.
Drillers, muckers, furnace workers, timbermen - they're all here. Many suffered horrible, spectacular deaths, as detailed in the newspaper fashion of the day, tending towards graphic, gruesome imagery. There is no shortage of such stories in this book, so be prepared for some intense reading.
The reality of Lyon Mountain's many tragic accidents includes explosions, amputations, and decapitations. It's all here, but there's much more in this book than just death.
You'll enjoy a vast amount of historical information presented in a variety of forms. Among them:
- Details of Mine Accidents from 1878 through 1966
- Framed boxes of Biographical information on each man
- Inside information on individual accidents
- One-of-a-kind photographs of many miners
- Genealogical information on each victim
- Actual newspaper reports with headlines and complete stories
- New angles and information on Lyon Mountain's role in history
- Dozens of amazing stories and facts on Lyon Mountain's mine deaths
For the mine victims, this book is the only recognition of their sacrifices. It's a unique work dedicated to the memory of Lyon Mountain's Iron Men. There's an amazing amount of history here, and you won't want to miss it.